Config Items appearing twice in same Kconfig file?

Christoph Egger siccegge at cs.fau.de
Thu May 13 00:34:45 EST 2010

Hi all!

   First of all sorry for the huge CC, I couldn't come up with a way
to create a smaller list while reaching all the relevant people.

   We, the vamos project[1] at the Friedrich Alexander University are
analything the linux configuration model trying to detect
errors. During a run with our tools we noticed  the fact that the
option ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS in arch/alpha/Kconfig.debug is
listed twice with contradictory dependencies on ALPHA_GENERIC.

   Taking a closer look[2] we noticed 22 occurences where the same
config option is defined more than once in the same Kconfig file, not
all of them are, of course, contradictory as the ALPHA sample.

   We"d be interested in reasons to keep this configuration split up
in the same file or if this is just a error introduced someeewhere in
linux' development that should be fixed.

Regards

   Chritoph Egger

[ Please keep vamos@ Cc-ed -- we're not following all the lkml traffic
  ;) no need to keep me though ]

[1] http://vamos1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
[2] grep  ^config **/Kconfig* | sort | uniq -d -c