kexec for powerpc32

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Wed Mar 31 23:18:18 EST 2010

[please CC me as I am not subscribed]

Hi,

when building a kernel for powerpc32 (PowerBook6,8 / 7447A) I can select
CONFIG_KEXEC. However, after booting I can't convince kexec (from
kexec-tools, latest git checkout) to load the kernel:

# /opt/kexec-tools/sbin/kexec -l /boot/2.6/zImage --append="root=/dev/hda6"
get_memory_ranges(): Unsupported platform
Could not get memory layout

Can anybody comment on wether or not kexec is supported on this platform?
If not, is this a limitation of kexec-tools or the kernel? If it's the
latter, can't the option be hidden/disabled in Kconfig for this platform?

Then again, from looking at the Kconfig files, I see that the "74xx" CPU
is among quite a few CPU types and so PPC_BOOK3S_32 is selected, and then
ALTIVEC selects 6xx which in turn selects PPC_BOOK3S - so, I guess
!PPC_BOOK3S for KEXEC is not an option here?

Thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #69:

knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked