MPC5200B, many FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERRORs until link down

Roman Fietze roman.fietze at telemotive.de
Tue Mar 30 21:00:54 EST 2010

Hello,

I think this is a never ending story. This error still happens under
higher load every few seconds, until I get a "PHY: f0003000:00 - Link
is Down", on my box easiliy reproducable after maybe 15 to 30 seconds.
I can recover using "ip link set down/up dev eth0".

I double checked that I'm using the most recent version of this driver
(checked with DENX, benh master/next, using Wolfgang Denk's version of
the 2.6.33), this includes the locking patches from Asier Llano, the
hard setting of mii_speed in the PHY mdio transfer routine of course.
I tried all 8 combinations of PLDIS, BSDIS and SE, with and without
CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE.

As some of you probably remember, I'm running this controller under
high load on FEC, ATA and LPC. As soon as "the" load is going above a
certain level I get those FEC RFIFO errors, sometimes ATA errors
(MWDMA2) and sometimes even lost SDMA interrupts using BestComm with
the SCLPC (now switched back to simple PIO). I quite sure almost all
of this is the BestComm's fault.

Did somebody already try the latest NAPI patches, which might give me
a slight chance to have a workaround? Any idea or upcoming patch to
address this problem once more, and if it's just by recovering e.g.
within mpc52xx_fec_mdio_transfer's timeout using some other dirty
workaround?

Roman

--
Roman Fietze                Telemotive AG Büro Mühlhausen
Breitwiesen                              73347 Mühlhausen