Continual reading from the PowerPc time base register is not stable

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 26 07:38:44 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 23:00 +0800, Csdncannon wrote:
> I am really sorry that the previously attached code is wrong, this one
> "timebase.c" is the right one, and the "log_timebase" file is the
> right log.
>
> We are using FreeScale PowerPc 8378, kernel 2.6.28 and compiled as
> 32-bit.

And despite all those sync/isync you can still observe the timebase
going backward ? That sounds scary. However, at this stage all I can
suggest is getting freescale folks to have a look, as this should really
not happen. Maybe there's some setting with that specific SoC that is
missing or similar...

Cheers,
Ben.