Problem with PCI bus rescan on 460EX

Kenji Kaneshige kaneshige.kenji at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 15 16:39:44 EST 2010

Felix Radensky wrote:
> Hello Kenji-san,
>
> Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
>> I'm not sure, but I guess pci_setup_bridge() didn't update IO base/limit
>> and Mem base/limit of the bridge (0000:00:02.0) because of the following
>> lines.
>>
>> static void pci_setup_bridge(struct pci_bus *bus)
>> {
>>        struct pci_dev *bridge = bus->self;
>>        struct resource *res;
>>        struct pci_bus_region region;
>>        u32 l, bu, lu, io_upper16;
>>
>>        if (pci_is_enabled(bridge))
>> <===============================
>> return;            <===============================
>>
>>        dev_info(&bridge->dev, "PCI bridge to [bus %02x-%02x]\n",
>>                 bus->secondary, bus->subordinate);
>>
>> It seems the bridge was already enabled by
>> pci_assign_unassigned_resources()
>> at boot time. Does removing those lines make any change?
>>

> Yes, with these lines removed bridge memory window is properly allocated.

These lines are to prevent updating IO or memory windows when there are
some devices working behind the bridge. So please note that removing
these lines is just for debugging.

> For some reason bridge memory is disabled, but if I enable it via
> setpci, and
> also enable device memory, then everything works fine. If the system is
> booted
> when device behind the bridge is plugged in, bridge memory is enabled.

Maybe because of the following lines, I guess.

void pci_enable_bridges(struct pci_bus *bus)
{
        struct pci_dev *dev;
        int retval;

        list_for_each_entry(dev, &bus->devices, bus_list) {
                if (dev->subordinate) {
                        if (!pci_is_enabled(dev)) {		<=======
                                retval = pci_enable_device(dev);<=======
                                pci_set_master(dev);		<=======
                        }

One possible cause is that pcibios_enable_device() for the bridge didn't
return any error even though it didn't work properly (ex. cannot access
to the command register, and so on) on your platform when there is no
device behind the bridge. But it is just my guess.

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige