Gianfar driver failing on MPC8641D based board

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Mar 3 01:02:33 EST 2010

Hi!

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:05:32AM +0530, Kumar Gopalpet-B05799 wrote:
[...]
> Understood, and thanks for the explanation. Am I correct in saying that
> this is
> due to the out-of-order execution capability on powerpc ?

Nope, that was just a logic issue in the driver.

Though, with the patch, the eieio() is needed so that compiler (or CPU)
won't reorder lstatus and skbuff writes.

> I have one more question, why don't we use use atomic_t for num_txbdfree
> and
> completely  do away with spin_locks in gfar_clean_tx_ring() and
> gfar_start_xmit().
> In an non-SMP, scenario I would feel there is absolutely no requirement
> of spin_locks
> and in case of SMP atomic operation would be much more safer on powerpc
> rather than spin_locks.
>
> What is your suggestion ?

I think that's a good idea.

However, in start_xmit() we'll have to keep the spinlock anyway
since it also protects from gfar_error(), which can modify
regs->tstat.

Thanks!

--
Anton Vorontsov