[Patch] mpc5200b: improve baud rate calculation (reach high baud rates, better accuracy)

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Tue Mar 2 19:09:43 EST 2010

Hi Wolfram!

Thanks a lot for your comments!

[snip]
> > + * as the chip can be only either a 5200B or not. */
> > +static int is_mpc5200b = -1;
> > +
> > +
>
> One empty line too much. Maybe we can also get rid of the static later in
> the
> process, but first things first.

Ooops....

[snip]
> > +	if (is_mpc5200b == 1)
> > +		return mpc5xxx_get_bus_frequency(p) * 4;
> > +	else
> > +		return mpc5xxx_get_bus_frequency(p) / 2;
>
> Isn't this wrong? You can also have /32 on the 5200B (the fallback).

Yes, but I do all /calculations/ with the /4 prescaler for higher accuracy.  If the divisor exceeds the available 16 bits of the counter reg, I round (divisor / 8) to use the /32 prescaler.  Think of a 19-bit counter value, where I can choose to use either the lower or the higher 16 bits for the counter reg.  Remember also that using the higher 16 bits (/32 prescaler) is probably the exceptional case - with an IPB frequency of 132 MHz this will happen only for standard baud rates B300 and slower.

[snip]
> > +	/* Check only once if we are running on a mpc5200b or not */
> > +	if (is_mpc5200b == -1) {
> > +		struct device_node *np;
> > +
> > +		np = of_find_compatible_node(NULL, NULL, "fsl,mpc5200b-immr");
>
> This should be handled using a new compatible-entry
> "fsl,mpc5200b-psc-uart".

I agree that this would be a lot cleaner, but it's also a lot more intrusive.  CC'ing the device tree discussion list here... comments, please!!

> > +		if (np) {
> > +			is_mpc5200b = 1;
> > +			dev_dbg(&op->dev, "mpc5200b: using /4 prescaler\n");
>
> Does this message respect the fallback case?

See comment above...

> You could also have a set_divisor-function for 5200 and 5200B and set it
> here
> in the function struct (one reason less for the static ;))

Hmmm, but then I would need a 'static struct psc_ops mpc5200b_psc_ops', where only two functions differ from the generic 52xx struct as it is implemented now.  Using the static int needs less space.  However, in combination with the new compatible entry, it would of course make sense.

Again, any insight from the device tree gurus would be appreciated!

Thanks, Albrecht.

Tolle Dekolletés oder scharfe Tatoos? Vote jetzt ... oder mach selbst mit und zeige Deine Schokoladenseite
bei Topp oder Hopp von Arcor: http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.toh