Request review of device tree documentation

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Jun 16 17:40:32 EST 2010

Mike Rapoport wrote:
> Mitch Bradley wrote:
>> Mike Rapoport wrote:

>>> Currently it aims to abstract hardware from U-Boot and reuse the
>>> same HW access code across operating systems and bootloaders. If
>>> this code would have callbacks I afraid the things would became worse.
>>
>> The only way I can understand what you said is if I assume that by
>> "callback", you mean the following sequence:
>>
>> a) U-boot loads and executes the OS, providing to the OS the address
>> of some HW access routines that it can use
>> b) The OS calls one of those HW access routines
>> c) During the execution of that HW access routine, that routine calls
>> "back" into the OS, before returning.  So a call into the OS is
>> nested inside a call into U-boot resident code.
>>
>> If that is what you are worried about, it is not what we were
>> discussing.  We were discussing - and many people were against - step
>> (b).
>>
>> Are you saying that step (b) - the OS calling into routines provided
>> by U-Boot - is already the status quo?
>
> I'm also objecting the step (b) and, fortunately, it's not yet the
> status quo.
> Current U-Boot/kernel implementations I've encountered still do not
> have OS calls to resident HW access routines. But if such calls would
> be allowed, my impression is that SoC vendors would make extensive use
> of them.

One could argue that a feature that vendors would use extensively is one
that is sorely needed from their point of view.

One counterargument, of course, is that "there is a better way".  But it
is only "better" under a cost function that values things differently
than the vendors value them.  Were that not so, the vendors would gladly
use the "better" way and not be tempted to use the objectionable
feature. (Unless, of course, the vendors are just ignorant or unskilled
- but I generally find that different cost functions cause more
disconnects than lack of ability.)

Which of course raises the question:  How does the Linux community view
such SoC vendors?  Are they embraced and eagerly supported, or (either
openly or secretly) viewed as a nuisance?  How does the widespread
objection to something that such vendors "would make extensive use of"
mesh with that view?