Request review of device tree documentation

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Mon Jun 14 16:17:13 EST 2010

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 23:13 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
>
>>> We use that to suck the device-tree, which we flatten, and then
>>>
>> re-enter
>>
>>> the kernel with the "common" entry interface.
>>>
>> I don't think I want to do the same on ARM.  I'd rather have the
>> prom_init stuff in a boot wrapper, or have OFW itself generate the
>> flat representation before booting the kernel.
>>

> But then it's no longer OF. IE. A compliant OF implementation provides a
> client interface API :-)
>
> This is going to be especially important if Mitch wants to keep OF
> alive.
>
> I suppose it could be done via a wrapper like prom_init, which flattens
> the tree, and sticks somewhere in a property the address of the OF
> client interface callback though it's a tad awkward. If well defined, I
> suppose Mitch might even be able to make his OF natively boot kernels
> that way but that's of course up to him.

I'm willing to create a flattened tree.  I can provide both a client
interface and a flattened tree.  The kernel probably won't use the
client interface to any significant extent.

Way back in the misty annals of history, I dreamed of having a common
interface between firmware and OSs.  That didn't happen.  Every OS
insisted on defining its own interface and creating a custom bootloader,
or in some cases a half dozen of them.