Request review of device tree documentation

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Sun Jun 13 16:45:57 EST 2010

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:39 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>

>> Minimally, OFW needs to own some memory that the kernel won't steal.
>> OFW on ARM is position-independent, so it can be tucked up at the top of memory
>> fairly easily.
>>

> Amen :-)
>

>> To call back into OFW, the virtual mapping for that memory needs to be
>> reestablished.
>>

> That's a nasty part unless ARM provides a usable "real mode" which
> allows MMIO accesses, which I -think- it does. I don't remember the
> details that much.

IIRC - and I could be wrong - ARM does have a "real mode", but the catch
is that
you must have the MMU on in order to use the caches, to distinguish between
memory and MMIO.  So you take a fairly hefty performance hit.

I'm running my test build right now with caches off, and the performance
is okay for
interactive work, but I'll want to have them on for startup and
bootloading, so as not
to negatively impact the boot time.
> Maybe we could define a binding tho where we could somewhat standardize
> the portion of the virtual address space used by OF. IE. from the top of
> the address space down to the max size it requires. It might require
> some games to play with the fixmap on ARM side tho...

That would be okay as far as I'm concerned.

> Another option would be something more RTAS-like where a specific call
> can be done by the OS itself to 'relocate' (not physically but virtually
> in this case) OF into the OS preferred location. Be prepared to have
> multiple of these called though as kernels kexec into one another.

That might be a bit harder, but still do-able.

>> Or perhaps the MMU and caches can be turned off for the duration of the
>> callback.
>> I don't have the details of ARM MMUs and caches reloaded into my head
>> yet.  Maybe next week...
>>

> Forgot most of it too. Looks like it's about time I read the ARM
> architecture again, this sounds like fun :-)
>
> BTW. I notice no ARM list is CCed on this discussion ... maybe we should
> fix that ?

Sounds like a good idea.  Do you know which list(s) would be good
candidates?

>> Also, for debugging, OFW typically needs access to a UART.  If the OS is
>> using the UART, it's often possible for OFW to use it just by turning off interrupts and
>> polling the UART.
>>

> That might not be a big deal unless the OS plays with the clocks which
> it -does- tend to do. It might be worth defining some kind of property
> OF puts in the UART node to inform the OS not to play games and keep
> that one enabled, though that could affect power management, so might
> need to be conditional on some nvram option (debug-enabled?)
>

>> The use case for a dynamic device tree is not compelling.
>>

> Right, generally not, except in virtualized environments (see my other
> response).
>
> Now, the -one- thing that WILL happen if we have something like OF that
> remains alive is of course vendors will try to use it as a HAL. You know
> as well as I do that it -will- happen :-)

I tried to be very clear when I was developing OFW that is is not a
HAL.  I knew
that it would be impractical to pin down a coherent set of assumptions
in the face
of the many different OSs - and versions of the "same" OS - that were
extant at the time.

Digital was fairly committed to the HAL approach on Alpha, but they had
two different
HAL ABIs, one for VMS and a different one for Ultrix!  So they were
unable to solve
the problem for N=2, where both OSs were under their control.
> There's two reasons that typically happen. The misguided "good" one
> which is to think it helps keeping a single/more maintainable kernel
> image by stuffing the horrible details of nvram, rtc, etc.. access,
> poweron/off GPIOs, clock control, etc... in there.

Whether or not it is "misguided" depends on your cost structure.  For
hardware companies
that don't control (and don't want to control) the OS, it is one of only
two possible
ways to ship product.  Either you make hardware that is 100% compatible
with something
that the OS already supports, or you have a HAL at some level.  The PC
industry, of course,
has played both games, and by and large has been economically successful.

>  The "bad" one which
> is to stash code you don't want to show the source code for (codec
> control, etc...).
>
> This is bad for so many reasons that I don't think I need to even start
> listing them :-) So that's something that will have to be strongly kept
> in check and fought I suspect.

Either fought or embraced.  To the extent that it is possible to focus
solely on Linux and
ARM, one could image doing a good HAL.  (The reason I say ARM-only is
because the
only other non-x86 architecture that has any "legs" left is PowerPC, and
PPC already
has a coherent story.)
> To some extent, in fact, doing that sort of stuff in OF or even in RTAS
> like we do on power is even worse than ACPI-like tables. At least with
> those tables, the interpreter is in the operating system, thus can run
> with interrupts on, scheduling on, etc...

I have an FCode interpreter that can live inside the OS.  It's
considerably simpler than
the ACPI interpreter.