[PPC64/Power7 - 2.6.35-rc5] Bad relocation warnings whileBuilding a CONFIG_RELOCATABLE kernel with CONFIG_ISERIES enabled

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Tue Jul 20 17:27:58 EST 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 about 14:00:56 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
>Milton Miller wrote:
>> I wrote:

>>> You can still do the subtraction, but you have to allocate 64 bits for
>>> storage.  Relocatable ppc64 kernels work by adjusting PPC64_RELOC_RELATIVE
>>> entries during early boot (reloc in reloc_64.S called from head_64.S).
>>>
>>> The code purposely only supports 64 bit relative addressing.
>>>

>> Oh yea, and for book-3s, the code copies from 0x100 to __end_interrupts
>> in arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.h down to the real 0, but the rest
>> of the kernel is at some disjointed address.  The interrupt will go to
>> the copy at the real zero.  Any references to code outside that region
>> must be done via a full indrect branch (not a relative one), simiar to
>> the secondary startup (via following the function pointer in a descriptor
>> set in very low memory), or syscall entry and exception vectors via paca.
>>

>That would still break on normal PPC boxes, as any address accessed in
>real mode has to be inside the RMA. And the #include for
>kvm/book3s_rmhandlers.S happens after __end_interrupts. So I'd end up
>with code that gets executed outside of the RMA after a relocation, right?
>
>Alex

Weither its outside of the RMA or not, DO_KVM is creating a branch outside
of code copied to lowmem.

This is BROKEN.

We have a hard limit that we can't extend _end_interrupts past 0x7000, and
a soft limit that we can't exceed 0x6000.  If there is space, we could
move the real mode handler extensions inside end_interrupts in
exceptions-64s.S, and store the full address in a .quad so it gets
relocated properly.  Don't subtract the start, we have designed the kernel
to run with start at a VA that can be used as a EA in real mode.

Otherwise we need to mark KVM_BOOK3S_64 depends on (!RELOCATABLE ||
BROKEN) for 2.6.35 until we get fixes.

I took a read though the book3s code as of 2.6.34.   A few things I noticed:

(1) The code is using slb large to control the segment size.   It should
be using SLB B field (or just impliment 256M segments only).

(2) It appears that the mtspr and mfspr code is using the same storage for
bats 4-7 as 0-3 ... I would have expected a 4 + a few places.

(3) Its not clear to me that you clear RI when transitioning to the guest
but its obviously required because you place state in srr0 & srr1.

(4) I don't understand why __kvmppc_vcpu_run turns on interrupts so that
__kvmppc_vcpu_entry can turn them back off.   Something to do with
irq trace annotations?

milton