UIO / of_genirq driver

John Williams john.williams at petalogix.com
Thu Jan 28 18:13:00 EST 2010

Hi,

I came across this thread/patchset from around June last year:

http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2009-June/073086.html

where Wolfgang proposed a generic OF-driven UIO driver.  The
discussion seemed to stall after Grant Likely indicated he didn't like
the use of a linux-specific compatible binding in the device tree
(compatible="generic-uio").

I guess I have a couple of questions:

 * did this patchset go anywhere?  I've been using it here the last
few days and it works great.

and more generally:

 * Is there a better way to handle the OF bindings for this sort of thing?

Grant's complaint seems to come up often - when you have generic
controllers in a system (SPI/I2C also spring to mind), we need a way
of signalling somehow to the kernel that each instance has a
particular usage intended.

However, the device-tree guys complain whenever anyone tries to encode
anything non-hardware related into the DTS itself.

I guess I'd like to just open up a discussion, see if there's been any
progress towards a general solution.

Thanks,

John
--
John Williams
PetaLogix - Linux Solutions for a Reconfigurable World