mount ramdisk rootfs /etc directory to jffs2 filesystem.

Johnny Hung johnny.hacking at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:43:23 EST 2010

2010/1/25 Chris Simmonds <chris at 2net.co.uk>:
> Johnny Hung wrote:

>> Yes, I know. So if I want set etc directoyr to /dev/mtd5 not in rootfs
>> /, I need to add "/dev/mtdblock5  /etc        jffs2   defaults
>> 0       0" in /etc/fstab file but rootfs doesn't contain /etc
>> directory because /etc directoyr is store in /dev/mtdblock5.
>> Do you know what I mean? The kernel execute /sbin/init after mount
>> rootfs and /sbin/init is link to busybox, busybox will read
>> /etc/inittab file to initial. The problem is coming, how busybox to
>> read /etc in rootfs before mount /dev/mtdblock5 to /etc? There is no
>> program to mount /dev/mtdblock5 to /etc before busybox init execute.
>>
>> I think I must mistake some concept, please give me a hint.
>> Thank you
>> BRs, H. Johnny

I got it. The rootfs contains at least /etc directory, /etc/inittab,
/etc/fstab. Bysybox will read /etc/fstab to mount etc to rootfs's etc
from other partition. Okay, it's reasonable. Another query, how to do
it in many Linux dist as Macro mentioned, use initramfs ? I am sure I
can arrange / to /dev/hda1 and /etc to /dev/hda2.

Thank you so much
BRs, H. Johnny