[net-next-2.6 PATCH 2/3] fs_enet: Add support for MPC512x to fs_enet driver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 25 03:41:17 EST 2010

Dear Wolfgang & Arnd,

In message <4B5C5BDF.6020001 at grandegger.com> you wrote:

> Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Is there any chance of building a kernel that runs on both mpc8xx and
> > mpc5121? AFAIK, the 5121 is built on a 6xx core which is fundamentally
> > incompatible with 8xx due to different memory management etc.

It is my understanding as well that you cannot have a single image
that boots both on 8xx and on 6xx cores. The focus was more on things
like supporting MPC5200 and MPC512x with the same image.

> > Since this makes it all a compile-time decision, it should be solvable
> > with a very small number of carefully placed #ifdef in the header files
> > an no runtime detection at all.
> >
> > Obviously this approach would not work for drivers that want to be portable
> > across different register layouts on otherwise compatible platforms.
>
> You are probably right and your proposal would likely result in more
> transparent (less ugly) code. There has been some discussion about
> unifying FEC drivers when the patches (with the same subject) have been
> submitted for the first time in May last year, but it was not about 512x
> and 8xx, IIRC.

You can re-read this discussion here:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/26927/

ee especiall Grant's note of 2009-05-21 15:36:11: "If it looks too
ugly, then just fork the driver."

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Immortality consists largely of boredom.
	-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8