[net-next-2.6 PATCH 2/3] fs_enet: Add support for MPC512x to fs_enet driver

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Fri Jan 22 20:35:59 EST 2010

David Miller wrote:
> From: Wolfgang Grandegger <wg at grandegger.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:25:38 +0100
>
>> Do you see a more clever solution to this problem?
>
> See how we handle this in the ESP scsi driver.  We have a set of
> defines for the register offsets, and a set of methods a chip driver
> implements for register accesses.
>
> If the offsets differ, the register access method can translate the
> generic register offsets into whatever layout their implementation
> actually uses.

I think you speak about:

    void (*esp_write8)(struct esp *esp, u8 val, unsigned long reg);
    u8 (*esp_read8)(struct esp *esp, unsigned long reg);

But still we need to translate the *generic* offset (reg) into the real
offset, which requires a lookup/table to get it. For me this seems not
really more efficient and less transparent as it bends the offsets.

Wolfgang.