xilinx-pci driver and pci in general

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Fri Jan 15 20:23:46 EST 2010

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 16:23 +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>
>> The main problems are:
>> ppc use ppc_md struct which we don't have it on Microblaze.
>> xilinx-pci driver uses exclude_device function. This function is used in
>> indirect_pci.c too. There could be a way to move that function directly
>> to pci_controller structure which could be useful for other controllers
>> too. What do you think?
>>
>> Then there are some other ppc_md. calling like pcibios_after_init which
>> if I see correctly not used for ppc too.
>
> We may not be using after_init() anymore in which case you are welcome
> to send a patch to remove it :-)

hmm. I used older kernel and I see that in the latest version powermac
use it. :-( I will just remove it.

> As for the others, well ... maybe you can do wrappers for these that
> call into ppc_md. on powerpc and into some kind of arch_pci_ops. that
> the platform provides on microblaze ?
>
> I'm not sure moving them into the pci_controller is the best way to go
> there.

ok. I will remove that part of code for now.

>> The next thing is that some files contains asm/machdep.h which could be
>> added to asm/pci-bridge.h and the same is for asm/ppc-pci.h
>
> Yeah, moving includes like that is ok.
>
>> Files contains CONFIG_PPC_OF and we would like to use only CONFIG_OF.
>> I remember any discuss around but not sure what was the conclusion on
>> powerpc.
>
> I think that should be allright, Grant, any objection there ?
>
>> Part of headers are the same that's why there will be a space to move
>> them to asm-generic.
>
> If you can convince other archs that it makes sense to do so ? :-)

will try.

>> Anyway: I look at your dma-mapping.h and you can use
>> asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h as I am using.
>
> Not just quite yet, there's still some stuff we need to cleanup with
> the !coherent cases.
>
>> Then I have some question about EARLY_PCI_OP in ppc_32.c. Is there any
>> reason to use early_##rw##_config_##size fucntions instead of proper
>> pci_bus_##rw##_config_##size functions?
>> There is one comment that these functions are used before PCI scanning
>> is done but there are used the same function as are in driver/pci/access.c.
>> Is there any "secret" reason to do it in this way?
>
> Well, first of all, those aren't ppc32 only anymore, they are in
> pci-common.c now. Then, if you look at them you'll notice that
> they are just a wrapper on top of pci_bus_* which uses a fake
> pci_bus structure. IE. They are meant to be used in very early
> arch fixup code at a time when we may not even have the struct
> pci_bus at hand. Their use is pretty rare though, maybe we -could-
> get rid of them at some stage by moving some of that fixup code.

Thanks for that.

>> Thanks for this early discuss. I would like to hear your opinion and
>> then I will choose solution how to add our pci support to mainline.

I will keep you informed but I see that I will add that part of code to
mainline and then we look at consolidation work.

Thanks,
Michal

> Cheers,
> Ben.