xilinx-pci driver and pci in general

Michal Simek michal.simek at petalogix.com
Thu Jan 14 02:23:57 EST 2010

Hi guys,

We (John and partially I) did initial support for pci on Microblaze.
It is based on powerpc files and almost everything is the same.
There are some small differences which could be easily removed that's
why I think that will be good to move that file to any generic location.
That's why I would like to know your opinion about this step.
If you don't like or prefer we will add that modified versions to
arch/microblaze and in future we can merge them and move to any other
location.

Affected files: xilinx-pci.c, pci_32.c pci-common.c, indirect_pci.c and
some headers.

The main problems are:
ppc use ppc_md struct which we don't have it on Microblaze.
xilinx-pci driver uses exclude_device function. This function is used in
indirect_pci.c too. There could be a way to move that function directly
to pci_controller structure which could be useful for other controllers
too. What do you think?

Then there are some other ppc_md. calling like pcibios_after_init which
if I see correctly not used for ppc too.

The next thing is that some files contains asm/machdep.h which could be
added to asm/pci-bridge.h and the same is for asm/ppc-pci.h

Files contains CONFIG_PPC_OF and we would like to use only CONFIG_OF.
I remember any discuss around but not sure what was the conclusion on
powerpc.

Part of headers are the same that's why there will be a space to move
them to asm-generic.
Anyway: I look at your dma-mapping.h and you can use
asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h as I am using.

Then I have some question about EARLY_PCI_OP in ppc_32.c. Is there any
reason to use early_##rw##_config_##size fucntions instead of proper
pci_bus_##rw##_config_##size functions?
There is one comment that these functions are used before PCI scanning
is done but there are used the same function as are in driver/pci/access.c.
Is there any "secret" reason to do it in this way?

Thanks for this early discuss. I would like to hear your opinion and
then I will choose solution how to add our pci support to mainline.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng)
PetaLogix - Linux Solutions for a Reconfigurable World