[RFC,PATCH 0/7 v2] Common struct clk implementation

Jeremy Kerr jeremy.kerr at canonical.com
Wed Jan 13 12:17:36 EST 2010

Hi Russell,

> But the point I was trying to convey is that OMAP doesn't work with
> _either_ a pure operations struct _or_ a bunch of per-clock function
> pointers - it currently uses a mixture of the two.

With the common clk, you can do exactly that:

struct clk_foo {
	/* ->ops provides functions common to clk_foo */
	struct clk;

	/* provides a function for only this clock */
	int (*single_clock_func)(struct clk_foo *);
}

The only real difference is that the public API is provided through struct clk
rather than redefined clk_* functions; whatever is implementing the clock-
type-specific struct clk can add whatever fields necessary.

From your earlier mail about sizes on omap:

> There are two function pointers in the struct clk which would be
> identical to the versions proposed in this generic struct clk.
> There's a total of 219 clk structures in OMAP3.  So, 219 * (4 + 8)
> = 2628.  Switching OMAP means 219 * (4 + 32) = 7884, which is an
> increase in overhead of 3x.

But we also can reduce the size of the struct clk in most cases; I believe the
separate clk_operations in v2 of this series will help with this.

Taking OMAP3 for example (I'm not very familiar with that platform, so am
basing this on a brief look through the clock code), the first step to a
common clk port would be to wrap the existing struct clk:

struct clk_omap {
	struct clk			clk;
	struct list_head		node;
	const struct clkops	*ops;
    [...]
};

and define the clk_operations to be the current omap clk_* functions.

This results in one extra pointer per clock, plus the clk_operations, so 908
bytes (4 * 219 + 32) overhead.

Next, we can start removing fields that are not used by all clocks; the fixed
top-level clocks would be a good start; it looks like we can represent those
with a:

struct clk_omap_fixed {
	struct clk	clk;
	char			*name;
	unsigned long	rate;
}

[For these fixed clocks, we don't need to propagate changes to children, hence
I'm assuming no child/sibling members]

The original struct clk is 96 bytes; clk_omap_fixed is 12, but we still need
one clk_operations (32 bytes). Since there are 8 of these, we save 640 bytes
((96 - 12) * 8 - 32).

If we then take the 'follow parent' clocks, it looks like we can represent
those with something like:

struct clk_omap_followparent = {
	struct clk	clk;
	char			*name;
	struct clk	*parent;
	struct list_head children, siblings;
	unsigned long	rate;
	void __iomem	*enable_reg;
	__u8			enable_bit;
	char			*clkdm_name;
	int			flags;
};

This would be 48 bytes, there are 140 of these, saving 6688 bytes ( (96 - 48)
* 140 - 32).

Now, we could stop here, or keep looking for common usage patterns of struct
clk to find cases where creating another clock type makes sense.

I know I've only looked at the easy OMAP cases here, but the principle still
applies: keep the original struct clk around as a fallback, but use the
smaller struct clks where possible.

Cheers,

Jeremy