PCI-PCI bridge scanning broken on 460EX

Stef van Os stef.van.os at Prodrive.nl
Tue Jan 12 22:14:20 EST 2010

Hello Felix,

Glad to know this is working for you!

I'll try to send out a patch later today. The same change should also be
applied to the "ppc4xx_probe_pci_bridge" function, as it also
initialises PCI without type 1 transactions.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Stef van Os

Prodrive B.V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Felix Radensky [mailto:felix at embedded-sol.com]
Sent: dinsdag 12 januari 2010 12:03
To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Cc: Stef van Os; Stefan Roese; Feng Kan; linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: PCI-PCI bridge scanning broken on 460EX

Hi Ben

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 00:48 +0200, Felix Radensky wrote:
>
>> Maybe because the bus behind root P2P bridge is bus 0, and type 1
>> cycles are needed for bus numbers greater than 0. That's what 460EX
>> manual says.
>>

> Well, no... the bus behind the root P2P is bus 1 ... the root P2P
> itself is on bus 0... but then, it's some trick in the way they
> implemented it I suppose.
>

>> You are correct, the log is from older version, without Stef's fix. I

>> don't have access to a system with devices behind PLX, and the guy
>> who did the testing used wrong kernel.
>> I'll make sure he uses the correct one and get back to you. Maybe
>> everything works after all :) I'm really sorry for confusion.
>>

> No worries :-) Feel free to send a proper patch to fix that problem
> upstream too !

The kernel with Stef's fix works fine, and recognizes both PLX and
device behind it.
Stef,  do want to provide a patch for upstream kernel, or do you want me
to do that on your behalf ?

Thanks a lot everyone for you help !

Felix.
Felix.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this email, including any attachments is
confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and