"status" property checks

Hollis Blanchard hollis_blanchard at mentor.com
Sat Jan 9 05:34:15 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 20:35 -0600, Hunter Cobbs wrote:
> I think that is definitely a solution.  It does centralize the testing
> for this particular issue.  The only thing question I have is if its
> really better to have the upper level do the check.  Shouldn't the
> driver itself handle the hardware and device node status?

Practically speaking, all drivers doing the checks today just return
-ENODEV. They don't try to do anything to "handle" the situation.

The definition of the status property implies it's outside of software's
control, for example:
        "disabled"
        "Indicates that the device is not presently operational, but it
        might become operational in the future (for example, something
        is not plugged in, or switched off)."

If a device is "not operational" in this sense, I don't think there's
anything for a device driver to do.

--
Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division