simpleImage.XX and large kernels

John Williams john.williams at petalogix.com
Mon Feb 8 21:47:44 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm looking at the simpleImage.XXX make target (PPC 405/440), and it
seems that by default the arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper script places the
bootwrapper at 0x400000, effectively setting a limit on the maximum
bootable kernel size.

For various reasons we'd like to be able to put a fairly complete
rootfs as an initramfs, which obviously blows past a 4Mbyte limit very
quickly.  Short of adding a new 'platform' option and associated
hackery through the powerpc/boot Makefiles and wrapper, is there a
quick and clean way I can tell the boot wrapper to link at a higher
address?

Thanks,

John