[RFC:PATCH 00/03] powerpc: Expose BookE debug registers through extended ptrace interface

Dave Kleikamp shaggy at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 3 13:03:34 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 16:34 -0600, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 20:23 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:

> > Is GDB smart enough to deal w/no condition_regs?  On some Book-E
> > devices we have 2 IACs, 2 DACs, and 0 DVCs.  Does it need to be in the
> > features?
>
> I wasn't aware that the bookE devices had varying numbers of these
> registers.  I guess I will have to make it a runtime option.

Kumar,

Can you tell me which bookE processors have 2 IAC's, and which have no
DVC's?

I think we still may be able to make these compile-time options as long
no two cpus that run on the same binary kernel vary in the number of
registers.  Right now I know the 403 only has 2 IAC's, and I don't
intend to expose the DVC's for the 40x processors anyway.

If they don't need to be run-time configurable, I think it would be
cleaner to define the number of each type of register in CONFIG_ flags
and put the logic into the Kconfig files.

Thanks,
Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp