Force FB off

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Thu Dec 16 00:39:14 EST 2010

On Tuesday 2010-12-14 21:18, Dave Airlie wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at medozas.de> wrote:
>

>>booting with video=off nor video=i915:off has any effect on skipping
>>FB. What is the correct option to stop FB from taking over my boot
>>consoles?
>
>For KMS its not fb taking over its the drm i915 driver, nomodeset will
>stop it however X will no longer work since it relies on the kernel
>driver.

That would make sense. Furthermore I discovered that video=vesafb:off
also has no effect, but here it is clear because the source code ignores
the return value of fb_get_options, and so ignores any off command.

The real strange thing is that video=offb:off on an Apple Xserve G5
PPC64, while probably skipping OFFB initialization, still ends up in a
640x480 mode with a 8x16 font instead of retaining the PROM
console/font.