[MPC52xx]Latency issue with DMA on FEC

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Thu Dec 2 07:34:25 EST 2010

David Laight wrote:
> The in_le32() not only contains the unwanted 'sync', but also
> a 'twi' (trap immediate - NFI exactly what this does) and 'isync'.
> The 'isync' is particularly horrid and unnecessary (aborts
> the instruction queue and refeches the opcode bytes).

I've also wondered why some time ago, and this is what I could find:
it's a special sequence that is detected by the bus error handler
(machine check exception happens on I/O error i.e. aborted pci
transaction or some such), so that it can 'recover' by continuing at the

Perhaps there is no other way to recover reliably from bus errors?

Micha