SPI driver for MPC837xERDB

Ravi Gupta dceravigupta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 22:30:17 EST 2010

Hi all,

I am new to linux device driver development. I have to develop a SPI driver
for MPC8377 processor based board. Right now I don't have a that board
ready(but I have the MPC837xERDB with me), so I was thinking of developing
and testing it on the RDB. But in MPC837xERDB, I don't have an SPI slave
device, the SPI pins on the board is connected to the SD card slot. Is it
possible to use SD card slot as SPI device? Also I have written a sample SPI
driver, but its probe function is not getting called?

#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/spi/spi.h>

static int __devinit spi_probe(struct spi_device *spi)
{
        printk(KERN_DEBUG "spi_probe...");
        return 0;
}

static int __devexit spi_remove(struct spi_device *spi)
{
        printk(KERN_DEBUG "spi_remove\n");
        return 0;
}

static struct spi_driver sample_spi_driver = {
        .driver = {
                .name = "sample-spi",
                .bus = &spi_bus_type,
                .owner = THIS_MODULE,
        },
        .probe = spi_probe,
        .remove = spi_remove,
};

static __init int spi_module_init(void)
{
  printk(KERN_INFO "SPI Driver Version 0.1\n");
  return spi_register_driver(&sample_spi_driver);
}

static __exit void spi_module_exit(void)
{
  /* unregister SPI device */
  spi_unregister_driver(&sample_spi_driver);
}

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

module_init(spi_module_init);
module_exit(spi_module_exit);