PowerPC ftrace function trace optimisation

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 29 11:08:14 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 11:02 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > The option Alan added reduces the footprint to 3 instructions which can
> > be noped out completely. The rest of the function does not rely on the first
> > three instructions. No stack spill is forced either:
> >
> > # gcc -pg -mprofile-kernel
>
> >From a quick test it appears that this only works with -m64, not -m32.
> Alan is that correct ? Any chance you can fix that in future gcc
> versions ?
>
> Also should we implement support for both type of mcounts or just only
> allow enabling of ftrace with gcc's that support this ?

Also, Anton noticed :

> Cheers,
> Ben.
>
> > 0000000000000000 <.foo>:
> >    0:   7c 08 02 a6     mflr    r0
> >    4:   f8 01 00 10     std     r0,16(r1)

The std is not useful here. We can do it inside mcount.

> >    8:   48 00 00 01     bl      8 <.foo+0x8>	<--- call to mcount

And I noticed:

> >    c:   7c 08 02 a6     mflr    r0

I'm happy to guarantee that mcount does the above.

> >   10:   f8 01 00 10     std     r0,16(r1)

And maybe that one too.

However I understand if it's easier not to change the prolog codegen
(the 2 insn above) and just stick to adding a 2 or 3 instructions
boilerplate at the top.

Cheers,
Ben.