Boot hang when setting console=none with MPC5200B custom board

Sylvain Lamontagne sylvain.lamontagne at novariant.com
Fri Apr 23 06:34:26 EST 2010

[snip]
> Can you halt the processor with JTAG and look at the contents of __log_buf?
Ok I'll try that as soon as I can get CodeWarrior to work again...

> > 1. Is it possible ?
>
> Yes, I believe so, but I haven't tried.
Ok

> > 2. Do you have any idea how it can be achieve ?
>
> You should be doing the right thing.  Are your userspace init scripts
> trying to start a getty on the non-existent console device?

Nope and using init=/bin/sh
gave me /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
And then
/ # tty
not a tty

Is helpful ? This is while using console=ttyS1,115200 (so when I know
it's working)

> > 3. Do you know a bug in 2.6.29.2 that could prevent this to work ?
>
> no
Ok :)

> > 4. The 'chosen' node is empty in my dts, does it require something to be
> > set ?
>
> no
Good to know

> I think your best bet is to figure out some way to get at __log_buf to
> retrieve the kernel output after the failed boot.
Ok I'll try to revive CodeWarrior (I would better appreciate a BDI2000,
but I'm stuck with a Freescale USB TAP that require CodeWarrior)

> Cheers,
> g.

Thank you

Sylvain