linux-next: PowerPC WARN_ON_ONCE() after merge of the final tree (tip related)

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Thu Apr 15 16:55:57 EST 2010

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte.hu>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:49:40 +0200

> Btw., WARN_ON trapping on PowerPC is clearly a PowerPC bug - there's a good
> reason we have WARN_ON versus BUG_ON - it should be fixed.

I disagree, an implementation should be allowed to use the most
efficient implementation possible for both interfaces.

I would be using traps for both on sparc64 if that were really
feasible on sparc64 (and actually with gcc-4.5's "asm goto" it might
actually be now)

The WARN and BUG macros, when implemented without traps, have serious
implications for overall code size and register pressure.