poweroff/suspend problems on PowerMac G5

Romain Goyet r.goyet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 19:51:18 EST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 19:14 +0400, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>
>> So CONFIG_HIBERNATION breaks suspend? Hm. How do you try
>> to suspend? echo mem > /sys/power/state?
>
> Nah, suspend isn't supported on these ( ... yet, I suppose I could
> implement it one of these days if nouveau can bring back the video
> card).
>
> I think his problem is that CONFIG_HIB* is breaking shutdown.
>
>> > as well as when just trying to shut
>> > down the machine.
>>
>> How do try to shut down the machine? halt/poweroff commands?
>>
>> >From a brief look, I don't see how CONFIG_HIBERNATION may change
>> halt/poweroff code flow in the kernel...
>>
>> Can you show us a boot log of working and not working kernels?
>> And .config files you use.
>>
>> ..maybe for some reason PMU/SMU modules didn't get loaded?
>
> Nah, I doubt it. Smells more like the old crap with broken cpu unplug on
> shutdown, no ?

I'm using a QuadG5 under Debian PPC right now, and indeed, it seems
like I have a similar issue (i.e. it takes *forever* for the machine
to halt). In my case it does end up powering itself off, but sometimes
it even goes in a state where all the fan are running at top-speed.
And indeed, I remember having some message in the console about CPUs
"unplugging" themselves.

> I have one of these guys at work, I can give it a try next week.

Great. While you're at it, is there any chance you could try to get
"server_mode" to work for this machine (or any SMU-based machine for
that matter). You know, so that the machine reboots after a power
failure :-)

Thanks a lot Ben !

  - Romain