A better way to sequence driver initialization?

Bill Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Sat Apr 10 23:35:41 EST 2010

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 14:23 -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:
>
>> My recent post, "Requesting a GPIO that hasn't been registered yet", and
>> Anton's reply thereto (thanks, Anton!) on linuxppc-dev got me thinking
>> about the problem of dependencies between devices in different  classes,
>> and/or between drivers/devices in general.  I'd like to float an idea to
>> see if it's worth pursuing.
>>

> I'd rather do things a bit more explicitely and less prone to break
> existing stuff... something along the lines of, first defining a variant
> of the initcalls to enable that "multithreaded" stuff, along with an
> explicit wait_for_service("subsys:hid"); for example.
>
> One could also expose service deps via the module info, thus delaying
> module init, or things like that (in fact, initcalls could even come
> with a list of dependencies).

The general problem with your approach is that the module in question
might not know what services it needs to wait for.

Specific to my situation, the gpio-led code doesn't have any way of
knowing that it needs to wait until my pca953x i2c devices have all been
installed so that the gpio pin I have specified even exists.  And short
of setting up some kind of table in the board-specific code (or device
tree, actually), I don't know how to communicate such a dependency
without touching the generic gpio-led code--- which I'm trying to avoid.

I just want gpio-led to try again if the gpio pin it has been provided
can't be requested yet.  And I can see the need for similar behavior in
several other of my drivers, hence the desire to generalize things a
bit.  I'm pretty sure my approach is only half-baked, but it does seem
to avoid the need to touch a bunch of existing code--- especially to add
board-specific dependencies.  It just give the system a tool to sort
things out on its own.

I do think your overall criticism is valid, though.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat at billgatliff.com