mpc5121 telnet all ports in use problem

Jayne Dickinson Jayne.D at digitalsys.com
Wed Apr 7 06:24:06 EST 2010

Greetings,

I'm new to the linuxppc-dev group and recently have been setting up
my linux image by using DENX/ELDK...looking for a good tip...so I can
login to my board...

I've been working on trying to get telnet, ssh, and my serial console
to work on my mpc5121 board and I am having problems...I am running
my linux via u-boot ( run net_nfs ) ...which loads just fine

1. Enclosed the telnet config file
from /opt/ppc/ppc_6xx/etc/xinetd.d ...also I still don't have
a linux console available...so I can not telnet, ssh, nor use a dumb
terminal to login into the scorpion....I need help!
2. I created a /opt/ppc/ppc_6xx/dev/pts directory
3. The kernel (uImage) compiled does have CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y

But why isn't /opt/ppc/ppc_6xx/dev/ptmx devices created?  I also
noticed there is no /opt/ppc/ppc_6xx/bin/mdev utility ... so should
I force this by using the ELDK_MAKEDEV script? If so how?...
Also should I modify /opt/ppc/ppc_6xx/etc/rc file to mount /dev/ptmx?

Here's my result of running telnet on my linux computer that is on
the same network as my target mpc5121 board...

On my linux computer I start telnet client and the results I get is the
following:
[jayne at Jayne etc]$ telnet 192.168.1.23
Trying 192.168.1.23...
Connected to 192.168.1.23.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnetd: All network ports in use.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I really appreciate your help...any pointers?
Jayne