MPC8536 PCI rescan to discover FPGA

Felix Radensky felix at embedded-sol.com
Wed Sep 30 17:06:25 EST 2009

Hi, Benjamin

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Right. However, in case it's a bit too much work to get
> hotswap implemented on the machine, you may still be able
> to do something simpler from your platform code, after you've
> finished loading the FPGA. I assume the FPGA doesn't contain a
> P2P bridge that would require probing further below the FPGA
> itself.
>
> The basic idea is to call pci_scan_slot() on the devfn where
> the FPGA is supposed to respond.
>
> Then you need to also do some fixup. First you need to call
> pcibios_setup_bus_devices(). This will wire up the device
> to an OF node if you have one, setup some default DMA ops,
> etc...
>
> Note that this function will walk over all devices on that bus
> which is interesting since some of those may have already been
> fully setup initially. Hopefully that isn't a problem. If it
> was to become one, we would have to figure out a way to skip
> devices that have already been "setup".
>
> And finally you call pcibios_finish_adding_to_bus() which will
> do the resource allocation pass on all new devices on the bus
> and register them with the core device layer.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben.

Thanks for the advice. This approach worked well for me, with some minor
modifications. First I had to clear PPC_INDIRECT_TYPE_NO_PCIE_LINK
in hose->indirect_type, otherwise reads from configuration space fail. And
second, I had to call pci_assign_resource() to complete the assignment
of FPGA
memory. The memory range is 0x0 - 0x7fffff, and PCI code doesn't like
resources
starting at 0.

Again, thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

Felix.