warning: allocated section `.data_nosave' not in segment

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Sep 29 06:56:42 EST 2009

> If you ignore the VMLINUX_SYMBOL, the only difference is moving the
> ALIGN inside the brackets. If I move the ALIGN back where it was, then
> the warning goes away.
>
> But other sections moved the ALIGN without an issue. Could it be a
> compiler problem? We are using  version 4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.1 4.0.0).

The compiler version is probably not relevant; the binutils versions
might be though.  But, it seems to me the patch was simply botched,
the ALIGN() should not have moved.

Look at the output of "ld -M" (the ld command with all the args that
are used during the compile, with -M added) to see what's up; or maybe
readelf can tell you already.

Segher