64bit kernel is huge

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Mon Sep 28 17:45:03 EST 2009

Hi,

I've found at least one machine that wont boot 2.6.31-rc* with a
pseries_defconfig. If I move real-base from 0xc00000 to 0xd00000 it
boots fine.

# size vmlinux
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
9812942	1982496	1105228	12900666	 c4d93a	vmlinux

Looks like we blow right through the 12MB mark. It desperately needs to eat
less and lose weight.

Here are some of the problem areas:

788224  kallsyms_names
537600  kallsyms_addresses

I guess mostly CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL.

262144  kstat_irqs_all
131072  irq_desc
16384   irq_stat

Could we dynamically allocate our irq structures?

151912  __start_mcount_loc
131076  map_pid_to_cmdline

ftrace stuff. With a name like map_pid_to_cmdline I'm pretty sure I'm not
going to like what it does.

131072  lppaca
65536   paca

I think we've attacked these before, not sure if there is anything left
we can trim.

131072  __log_buf

Looks like we can dynamically allocate a large log buf at runtime. Perhaps
we should default to a small log_buf and grow it at boot based on machine size
(eg max cpus).

101160  powerpc_opcodes

xmon instruction disassembly. I'd probably prefer to cut off my right hand and
debug one handed before losing this though.

87600   __start___bug_table

Can't do much about this.

77452   _fw_acenic_tg2_bin_bin

We could probably change acenic to be a module,

46464   kmalloc_caches
32768   read_buffers
32768   mem_section
21816   hstates