Market research for new PowerPC system

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Sun Sep 27 03:58:52 EST 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

> (Sorry for the cross-posting, please ignore if you are not interested in this,
> CC me as I'm not subscribed)
> Hi,
>
> First some introductions. I'm Konstantinos Margaritis, a long time
> Amiga/BeOS/Linux user/developer and a PowerPC fan, former Debian Developer,
> also a SIMD/AltiVec fanatic and the author of libfreevec. I've posted this on
> the following sites:
>
> http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=29594&forum=33&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0
>
> http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49424
>
> http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6465&forum=11
>
> http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=3768&forum=4
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/market_research_new_powerpc_system#comment-12604
>
> To anyone who is not a PowerPC user, it might seem like crazy, but here it
> goes:
>
> I'm considering funding the design & production of a new PowerPC system (well,
> the motherboard, the rest are typical pc stuff and a case). No this is not a
> joke, I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and perhaps the chance
> will be given to me now. But before I spend any money on this, I want to do a
> little market research first. I know the market is literally "dying" for a new
> powerpc motherboard, but exactly how many are there that want to buy one?

Ok, just a short comment. In principle I like diversity, competition, etc.
And it was somewhat sad when Apple abandoned ppc. But honestly - why
should I be buying a ppc desktop system? If we restrict our comparison to
Linux, because that's what I'm using, what advantages would a ppc system
give me over a comparable in price ix86 system? This is not meant
negatively, I just have not followed recent ppc CPUs from the "desktop"
range, so, this is a real honest question. Would such a system provide
more MIPS per Watt at the same price? Or more periferals? Or some specific
hardware blocks unavailable or unsupported om ix86?

Thanks
Guennadi