Oops in IDE probing on ppc_440 when PCI is enabled in strapping

Ludo Van Put ludo.vanput at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 22:36:15 EST 2009

Hi,

we're working with a PPC440GX on a board that has a.o. a compact flash slot.
We had the PCI subsystem of the ppc disabled in strapping for quite a while,
until we wanted to start using it.
However, when we enabled PCI in the strapping and in the (patched 2.6.10)
kernel configuration, we triggered an oops when probing for IDE devices (to
read out the first 512 bytes of the CF). I can see that the ioremap64 call
in the driver code for our CF returns a different address (compared to PCI
disabled in strapping), but using this address later on for accessing the CF
goes wrong.

Does someone has an idea why this might go wrong? Can I end up with
overlapping address ranges due to the PCI subsystem being enabled? Is this
easy to check? As far as I know, the HW address of the PCI controller is in
a non-overlapping range with the addresses we have setup in the EBC
registers to probe for the CF (u-boot can see the IDE device just fine and
it also has PCI turned on).

TIA, Ludo