Debian on MPC8572DS

Isaac Gomez Morales isaac.gomez.morales at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 01:01:53 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get a Linux distro such as Debian in the following system

System:
mpc8572ds HW
u-boot programmed on flash memory
vanillia linux installed on sata disk

Restrictions:
i have not apt-get resident on system

I have tried the following ways with no succeful results:

I tried to run deboostrap with chroot on mpc8572ds

I tried to run deboostrap on another machine, downloading the correct
packages for ppc enviroment and copiny those packages in a new ext2
partition of my 8572 hw. After that i executed "chroot /mnt/newpartition
/bin/bash" and it returned "Illegal instruction". At this point i can't
follow the installation and if i force to startup the machine with that rf
system, it returns a "kernel panic" with error to handling the signal 4 of
init process.

I tried to get start the machine with a debain livecd installation. I
created an uImage and initrd from cdrom's vmlinux and initrd.gz with the
uboot-mkimage tool, then i booted it from u-boot but the kernel didn't
start.

I tried to start a preinstalled Debian for a simillar architecture, in
cocnret from a mpc8561 ppc's Debian. I put its hhdd with the Debian rfs on
my machine and start it with my uImage and dtb files. The results was the
same "kernel panic" and signal 4 error.

I accept all ideas.

Thanks you all and sorry for my english