[RFC] net/fs_enet: send a reset request to the PHY on init

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Sep 5 01:45:54 EST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Sebastian Andrzej
Siewior<bigeasy at linutronix.de> wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
>  > What version of the kernel are you using?  The line numbers don't
>>
>> match up with kernel mainline, so I wonder if this is before or after
>> the OF MDIO rework changes.
>
> It is the kernel which was shipped in ads5121's bsp which is 2.6.24.

Okay, I can safely ignore this then.  Wolfgang may be interested
though.  He's been doing some work to get 5121 support mainlined.

> I have no network support in boot loader so I can't do it there. Doing it at
> phy-probe time sounds reasonable.
> So all other boards are doing this kind of reset in u-boot?

In general I take the approach that as much as possible firmware
should have devices in a sane state before booting the kernel just to
avoid doing board specific fixup stuff in the kernel tree.  But this
isn't law, just more of a rule of thumb that I go by.  2nd resort is
to create a board specific platform code file and put it there
(arch/powerpc/platforms/*).

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.