AW: PowerPC PCI DMA issues (prefetch/coherency?)

Chris Pringle chris.pringle at oxtel.com
Thu Sep 3 22:43:51 EST 2009

In our case, we were suffering coherency issues on an 8260 when using
DMA with PCI. Setting the 'M' bit cured all of our DMA coherency issues.

There is a comment in "pgtable-ppc32.h" on 2.6.29.6 that says:
"We always set _PAGE_COHERENT when SMP is enabled *or* the processor
might need it for DMA coherency". Freescale had also suggested setting
the 'M' bit when we submitted a support request.

I've no idea how this bit affects other PowerPC chips. Looking briefly
through some of the header files, it looks as if the 'M' bit should not
be set for 44x, so the issue is probably not the same as the one I had.

Cheers,
Chris