Mixing hard and soft floating point?

Peter Bergner bergner at vnet.ibm.com
Mon Oct 19 11:57:24 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 21:34 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Joakim Tjernlund,
> > OK, but then you don't mix some libs/apps with soft and other
> > apps/libs with hard FP?
>
> No, we never tried that. Sounds scary to me.

And dangerous.  Hard-float and soft-float are ABI incompatible, so you
cannot mix and match obj files and libs compiled with those two options.
They all have to be hard-float or they all have to be soft-float.
Think about a function compiled with hard-float calling a soft-float
libm routine.  The hard-float routine will pass its args in via FP
regs and the soft-float lib routine will be looking for them in the
integer registers.

Peter