[patch 22/28] macintosh: Remove BKL from ans-lcd

John Kacur jkacur at redhat.com
Sun Oct 11 10:27:24 EST 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

> > There were 4 checkpatch errors on this patch, all of the type
> > ERROR: spaces required around that '=' (ctx:WxO)
> > #1466: FILE: drivers/macintosh/ans-lcd.c:112:
> > +			ret =-EACCES;
>
> Here's a suggestion. If a few spaces bug you that much then instead of
> complaining about it and posting checkpatch results deal with the file
> itself.
>
> Wait until the patch goes in and send a follow up patch that fixes up the
> file to fit codingstyle. There's no point whining about the bits a patch
> touches when the file wasn't in that format before, but if you've got
> nothing better to do then doing a pass over the whole file *is* useful.
>
> (Plus it gets a patch to your name ;))
>
> Checkpatch whines on files that simple don't follow style are usually
> best ignored because they make the file formatting less internally
> consistent.

Thanks Alan, I was sincerely debatting whether to send this because I know
that checkpatch can be annoying - but on the other hand, I thought it
prudent to run it since I was claiming to have reviewed all of those
patches.

I like your suggestion though - next time, I won't send the mail, since
since the folks submitting these patches are more than capable of checking
that kind of thing themselves, and if I feel it's important enough, I'll
follow up with a trivial style patch.

Cheers!

John