[RFC] misc/at24: add experimental OF support for the generic eeprom driver

Wolfram Sang w.sang at pengutronix.de
Fri Oct 9 07:48:08 EST 2009

> I think in general, this is the right direction; but I'm not convinced
> that the right pattern or form has been found yet.  What I don't like
> on this particular patch is that it still hooks of-specific stuff into
> an arbitrary point in the probe routine.
>
> I'd like to see some pattern for retrieving or populating a
> platform_data structure when one isn't already provided, and
> regardless of the data source.

I thought about this, too. I just wondered how many drivers would actually need
a 'pdata'-preparation routine before probe, and if this would not cause too
much overhead for those who don't. But as you say OF might not the only case
where this is needed, then it might be a reasonable choice to have an extra
call fot setting up pdata. Then again, if we have preparation routines for
OF,UEFI,... for each and every driver, uh, the bloat :(

> will take a bit of experimentation to come up with the best form for
> the pdata fetching function, but it will be better contained if it is
> all at a single place.

I might have a try :)

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |