[Q/RFC] mpc52xx gpt api

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Mon Nov 16 04:17:33 EST 2009

Hi all,

I tried to use a '5200B internal timer for a very simple task - as pwm to make a led blink, but apparently the current gpt implementation from Grant's tree does only support internal (cpu timer) modes which do not use the timer io pin.

The first hurdle was to actually get the timer itself - mpc52xx_gpt_from_irq() never returned something when I passed the timers (v)irq to it.  What is the intended use of this function?  BTW, I do not need timer irq's, so I believe there should be an other way to grab a timer!

I made several changes to finally get the pwm timer running for me with the current implementation, but IMO it might be interesting to have a more generic api.  Before digging into it, I would be interested in any comment about the following approach, which could cover all possible gpt operating modes:

* struct mpc52xx_gpt_priv *mpc52xx_gpt_grab(const char * name, mode)
  name: timer name, e.g. "f0000630.timer", or NULL for the next free cpu timer
  mode: CPU, PWM, IC or OC.  The latter three are only possible if the requested timer shall not be used as gpio (i.e. the device tree does not register it as such)
  The function shall mark the timer as being in use, to avoid access conflicts.
  It might also make sense to pass an irq callback function here.  The gpt module would catch the hw irq, clear the status flags, and then call this function.

* int mpc52xx_gpt_setup
  Configure period, continuous (cpu only), pwm width and polarity (pwm only).  Didn't look into the special IC/OC requirements yet.  Probably it makes sense to provide different functions for the four different modes (mpc52xx_gpt_setup_internal, mpc52xx_gpt_setup_pwm, etc.).  We might then omit the mode parameter of the "grab" function, and shift the gpio vs. timer pin conflict check here.
  The function shall always change the timer registers, even if the timer is already running, which is convenient if e.g. the pwm output waveform shall be changed on the fly.

* int mpc52xx_gpt_runstate(struct mpc52xx_gpt_priv *, int running)
  Start/stop the timer

* int mpc52xx_gpt_release(struct mpc52xx_gpt_priv *)
  Release timer, so an other mpc52xx_gpt_grab() will succeed.

Opinions?

Cheers, Albrecht.

Jetzt NEU: Do it youself E-Cards bei Arcor.de!
Stellen Sie Ihr eigenes Unikat zusammen und machen Sie dem Empfänger eine ganz persönliche Freude!
E-Card Marke Eigenbau: HIER KLICKEN: http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.ecard