problem with POSIX timers

Logan.Ratner at emerson.com Logan.Ratner at emerson.com
Fri Nov 13 03:44:01 EST 2009

I'm on a project where I recently switched from BSD style timers
(setitimer/getitimer) to POSIX style timers
(timer_settime/timer_gettime) so I can use the timer_getoverrun
function.  This works fine, except that now on my embedded PPC platform
changing the system time with either settimeofday or clock_settime has
an effect on relative timers, which according to POSIX shouldn't happen.
The same code works fine on the x86 platforms I've tested on; I only see
the problem on my PPC machine.

I've also tried using CLOCK_MONOTONIC instead of CLOCK_REALTIME, but
that does not seem to be supported on my platform either.

I'm using:

An MPC8270 processor

A 2.6.17.6 kernel

librt ver. 2.3.5

libc ver. 2.3.5

g++ 4.0 targeting powerpc-linux

Is this a known problem?  Is there a patch or a later kernel that would
correct this problem?

Also, is this the right place to be asking this question, and if not
could anyone suggest a better forum?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Logan Ratner | Software Engineer | Rosemount Analytical

Emerson Process Management | 5650 Brittmoore Rd | Houston | TX | 77041 |
USA

T +1 713 839 9656 | F +1 713 827 3807

Logan.Ratner at Emerson.com