help with unhandled IRQ error with mpt2sas driver and powerpc 460EX

Ayman El-Khashab ayman at elkhashab.com
Sat Nov 7 13:47:44 EST 2009

On 10/27/2009 7:22 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 12:27 -0500, Ayman El-Khashab wrote:
>
>> The first problem I noticed is that the physical address is read into a
>> 32 bit variable, but the 460ex has a 36 bit bus so the ioremap would
>> always fail.  I've change the defn of chip_phys in mpt2sas_base.h to u64
>> and that cleared up that issue.
>>

> That looks indeed like a common driver bug. Please make sure you submit
> the fix upstream. The "right" type to use is resource_size_t in fact.

Thank you Benjamin for your help.  The info was passed onto the
maintainer and they were able to use it
to improve their driver.  In the background, the mpt2sas was brought up
on the canyonlands/460ex.  The
biggest thing turned out to be an #ifdef in the code that referred to
BITS_32 to determine whether to prog
the high and low of the DMA addresses.  Once that was adjusted, it did
function and detect the sas drive.