Weird 5200/mtd-ram problem

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Thu May 21 00:13:05 EST 2009

Hi all,

I ran into a weird problem when I tried to access a static (NV) ram attached to the localbus of a '5200 using Wolfram's mtd-ram OF driver (on a stock 2.6.29.1 kernel).  The 512k ram chip is connected in 16-bit mode to cs1.  the of entry reads

nvram at 1,0 {
	compatible = "mtd-ram";
	reg = <1 0x0 0x00080000>;      // 512 kB
	bank-width = <2>;
	device-width = <2>;
	#size-cells = <1>;
	#address-cells = <1>;
	};

For the test I created a "pattern file" which is filled with the unsigned long 0x0055aaff.  Using the Abatron BDI3000, I can write the pattern file to the ram and re-read it without problems.  The same applies to u-boot (write ram via tftp, dump contents).

In Linux, when I write the file to /dev/mtdx, the last dword of each block is broken, e.g. when running "dd if=pattern of=/dev/mtd5 bs=512" the dword's at offset 0x1fc, 0x3fc, ... are 0x0000aaaa (instead of 0x0055aaff), if I use bs=1024 the dwords at 0x3fc, 0x7fc, ... show this value, if I use bs=4096 the dword at 0xffc shows this value, etc.  I looked at the CS/WR lines with a scope, and I couldn't see anything special.  The timing should be fine, as u-boot uses the same as Linux.

Any idea what goes wrong here?  I guessed I missed something in the LPB setup...

Thanks in advance,
Albrecht.

Arcor.de Gaming Area - kostenfrei daddeln bis der Arzt kommt!
Jetzt checken und aus über 80 Spielen wählen!
http://www.arcor.de/footer-gaming/