question about softirqs

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Wed May 13 14:44:27 EST 2009

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte.hu>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:23:48 +0200

>> Wouldn't the even better solution be to get rid of softirqs
>> all-together?
>>
>> I see the recent work by Thomas to get threaded interrupts
>> upstream as a good first step towards that goal, once the RX
>> processing is moved to a thread (or multiple threads) one can
>> priorize them in the regular sys_sched_setscheduler() way and its
>> obvious that a FIFO task above the priority of the network tasks
>> will have network starvation issues.
>
> Yeah, that would be "nice". A single IRQ thread plus the process
> context(s) doing networking might perform well.

Nice for -rt goals, but not for latency.

So we're going to regress in this area again?  I can't see how
that's so desirable, to be honest with you.

The fact that this discussion started about a task with a certain
priority not being able to make forward progress, even though it
was correct coded, just because softirqs are being processed in
a thread context, should be a big red flag that this is a buggered up
design.

I fully expected us to be, at this point, talking about putting the
pending softirq check back into the trap return path :-/