device trees.

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Wed May 13 10:13:19 EST 2009

    Are we all using the same meaning of firmware ?

    While firmware == BIOS is the norm for PC's
     atleast in the embedded FPGA space firmware could mean the FPGA
programing that creates the hardware.
    For an FPGA based system a dtb generated by the same software that
created the "firmware" for the FPGA,
    had better match the "hardware" exactly.  Literally welding the
"firmware" to the dtb makes alot of sense.

    FPGA "firmware" is typically created with hardware programming
languages like Verilog, and VHDL.
    It is still "programmed" and like all programming quality varies.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein