RapidIO - general questions

Jan Neskudla jan.neskudla.ext at nsn.com
Tue May 12 19:17:52 EST 2009

Hallo

we'd likes to use a RapidIO as a general communication bus on our new
product, and so I have some questions about general design of Linux RIO
subsystem. I did not find any better mailing list for RapidIO
discussion.

[1] - we'd like to implement following features
    * Hot-plug (hot-insert/hot-remove) of devices
    * Error handling (port-write packets - configuration, handling of
them)
    * Static ID configuration based on port numbers
    * Aux driver - basic driver, for sending messages over different
mboxes, handling ranges of doorbells

    Is it here anyone who is working on any improvement, or anyone who
knows the development plans for RapidIO subsystem?

[2] - I have a following problem with a current implementation of
of VendorID (VID) and DeviceID (DID) only. Thus if I have 3 devices with
same DID and VID connected to the same network (bus), the driver is
loaded 3times, instead only once for the actual device Master port.

Rionet driver solved this by enabling to call initialization function
just once, and it expect that this is the Master port.

Is it this correct behavior  ? It looks to me that RapidIO is handled
like a local bus (like PCI)

                                   Jan