question about softirqs

Ingo Molnar mingo at elte.hu
Tue May 12 18:12:37 EST 2009

* Chris Friesen <cfriesen at nortel.com> wrote:

> This started out as a thread on the ppc list, but on the
> suggestion of DaveM and Paul Mackerras I'm expanding the receiver
> list a bit.
>
> Currently, if a softirq is raised in process context the
> TIF_RESCHED_PENDING flag gets set and on return to userspace we
> run the scheduler, expecting it to switch to ksoftirqd to handle
> the softirqd processing.
>
> I think I see a possible problem with this. Suppose I have a
> SCHED_FIFO task spinning on recvmsg() with MSG_DONTWAIT set. Under
> the scenario above, schedule() would re-run the spinning task
> rather than ksoftirqd, thus preventing any incoming packets from
> being sent up the stack until we get a real hardware
> interrupt--which could be a whole jiffy if interrupt mitigation is
> enabled in the net device.

TIF_RESCHED_PENDING will not be set if a SCHED_FIFO task wakes up a
SCHED_OTHER ksoftirqd task. But starvation of ksoftirqd processing
will occur.

> DaveM pointed out that if we're doing transmits we're likely to
> hit local_bh_enable(), which would process the softirq work.
> However, I think we may still have a problem in the above rx-only
> scenario--or is it too contrived to matter?

This could occur, and the problem is really that task priorities do
not extend across softirq work processing.

This could occur in ordinary SCHED_OTHER tasks as well, if the
softirq is bounced to ksoftirqd - which it only should be if there's
serious softirq overload - or, as you describe it above, if the
softirq is raised in process context:

        if (!in_interrupt())
                wakeup_softirqd();

that's not really clean. We look into eliminating process context
use of raise_softirq_irqsoff(). Such code sequence:

	local_irq_save(flags);
	raise_softirq_irqsoff(nr);
	local_irq_restore(flags);

should be converted to something like:

	local_irq_save(flags);
	raise_softirq_irqsoff(nr);
	local_irq_restore(flags);
	recheck_softirqs();

If someone does not do proper local_bh_disable()/enable() sequences
for micro-optimization reasons, then push the check to after the
critcal section - and dont cause extra reschedules by waking up
ksoftirqd. raise_softirq_irqsoff() will also be faster.

	Ingo